Enjoy a Fire-safe Holiday Season

The holiday season is a great time to cook and decorate with family and friends. It is also a time to pay extra attention to fire safety.

“Whether you’re trimming a tree, hanging lights, decorating the mantelpiece, lighting candles or cooking for friends and family, I want to remind all Nova Scotians to put safety first,” said Municipal Affairs Minister Mark Furey. “By taking some preventative steps, we can help ensure a fire-safe holiday.”

Over the holidays and winter months, remember to:
— check for frayed or cracked wires and broken light sockets
— only use Canadian Standards Association approved lights, extension cords and non-combustible decorations
— do not use outdoor lights and cords indoors and turn off the lights when not in use
— avoid running extension cords through door jambs or under carpets
— never locate your tree near exits or heat sources
— always choose a freshly cut tree and make sure the tree is watered every day
— when purchasing an artificial tree, look for the label “fire resistant”
— stay in the kitchen when cooking, especially when using oil or cooking at high temperatures
— never leave candles unattended. Keep them out of reach of children and pets, and in a sturdy holder. Battery-operated candles and lights are safe and convenient alternatives
— test smoke alarms weekly during the holiday season.

“Being extra careful this time of year can help ensure you and your family have a safe and joyous holiday season,” said provincial Fire Marshal Harold Pothier. “Smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, and carbon monoxide detectors are thoughtful Christmas gifts.”

For more information on holiday safety tips, contact the Office of the Fire Marshal at 902-424-5721 or visit www.novascotia.ca/dma/firesafety/docs/HolidayFireSafety.pdf .

Source: Release

Fraser v. Dragon Buffet King Inc. Inquiry Continues

Maybelline Creamy mattes