10:30 am - Sunday, November 17 2019
Home / News / Family warns pet owners of mushroom toxicity
received_544677046305121

Family warns pet owners of mushroom toxicity

****  (photos via Kristjana Jessica Schroeder)

Kristjana Jessica Schroeder wants pet owners to be aware of mushroom toxicity and how it can quickly affect your furry friends.

received_3293131424060937

Her golden retriever was taken in to emergency for liver failure after eating a toxic mushroom in Middle Sackville during a hike. The effects of the mushrooms were quick and surprising.

The mushrooms cause extreme toxicity in their liver enzymes (she said they were off the charts according to the vet)

The mushroom family is called amanita and grows freely throughout the province.  There are several species from this family.

20190923_090700

(This type were the species involved)

She wants inform animal owners that these grow in Nova Scotia. She had no idea that mushroom toxicity was a real risk to pets in the province.

“Please, pet owners need to be aware these mushrooms exist out here so they know to watch for pet ingestion.”

received_544677046305121

The animal hospital had two other cases when she took her friend in for treatment. They believe that there may have been a bloom lately. Sadly, Dougie passed away from the poisonous mushrooms.

About Haligonia Editors

See news happening near you? Tell us. Click here to email our team.

 

The views and opinions expressed in this content are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of haligonia.ca.

You might also like...

download (2)

Police charge man in 2019 murder of Triston Reece

**** HRP Media Release Police charge man in 2019 murder of Triston Reece Investigators in...

FB_IMG_1573838722625

Attempted theft of truck gone wrong

**** RCMP Media Release Attempted theft of truck gone wrong? On November 8, Kings District...