Fire investigation into Lower Sackville fatal house fire concludes

Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency (HRFE) investigators have completed the investigation of the fatal house fire in Lower Sackville.


Investigators have concluded the fire started in the basement due to improper disposal of smoking materials. The fire then spread throughout the house, causing an electrical fault along its path.


The investigation also revealed all recent electrical work at the property was done appropriately and up to code.

Throughout the course of this investigation, HRFE utilized various experts from different fields to arrive at this conclusion.


“This is a horribly tragic incident, and our most sincere condolences go out to the family of those who died as a result of the fire,” said Chief Ken Stuebing.

Stuebing said there will be no charges and the cause is classified as accidental.


During a news briefing last week, Chief Stuebing highlighted the importance of working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

In new construction, the building code stipulates there should be a working smoke alarm in each bedroom, on each level, and that all the alarms be linked, so people will know if there’s a fire in another part of the home.


There was one working smoke alarm in this home, but HRFE investigators believe if there had been more than one working smoke alarm, the outcome might have been different.

HRFE has a program called, ‘Alarmed and Ready’. The purpose of the program is to provide a smoke or carbon monoxide alarm for those who do not have the financial means to obtain one.


Call 311 to place a request for an alarm.

This program also gives our front-line firefighters an opportunity to educate the public on the importance of an early warning device in the home, and to demonstrate to residents how to maintain and test their alarms.


Source: Media Release

(Found) Nova Scotia Health Authority requests public’s assistance in locating missing patient

Down North! – Cape Breton Community Food North of Smokey