The Nova Scotia Office of the Fire Marshal has completed its assessment of the explosion site at Porter Lane in Waterville. The incident happened today, Feb. 24, at 1:15 a.m.
Provincial fire marshal Harold Pothier conducted a scene examination and determined the explosion was caused by a combination oil and wood-burning furnace that overheated and ruptured. The explosion was originally thought to be gas related.
“Thankfully, the occupants were sleeping, and therefore laying down, which may have saved their lives,” said Mr. Pothier.
Six occupants were taken to hospital and treated, five of whom have been released.
The explosion destroyed the single-story home.