Halifax Regional Police has charged a man with firearms offences in relation to a traffic stop that occurred on Friday in Dartmouth.
At approximately 8 p.m. members of the Quick Response Unit, assisted by East Division Patrol officers, conducted a traffic stop on Fundy Lane in relation to an ongoing investigation. Officers arrested a man on scene and seized a loaded firearm without incident.
Ivan Santell Thompson, 39 years-old, was scheduled to appear in Halifax provincial court yesterday to face the following charges:
- Possession of a restricted or prohibited firearm with ammunition
- Possession of a restricted or prohibited firearm or ammunition with no license
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Unsafe storage of a firearm contrary to regulations
- Storing a restricted weapon contrary to regulations
- Possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace
- Possession of firearm or ammunition contrary to a court order
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Possession of a firearm in vehicle
Anyone with information about illegal firearms should contact police at 902-490-5016. Anonymous tips can be sent to Crime Stoppers by calling toll-free 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), submitting a secure web tip at www.crimestoppers.ns.ca or via the P3 Tips App.