**** Transit Media Release
Halifax Transit Service Level Adjustments – Monday, October 7
The Halifax Regional Municipality is advising residents to plan ahead in the event of a protest by an environmental activism group that is scheduled to take place on the Macdonald Bridge on Monday, October 7.
Residents should make alternative travel plans and build in extra time if the Macdonald Bridge is part of their commute as there could be traffic disruptions.
In anticipation of this event, please note the following service level adjustments that will be in effect for Halifax Transit on Monday, October 7:
Fixed Route Bus Service:
- All buses that regularly travel across the Macdonald Bridge will be rerouted to the MacKay Bridge.
- Passengers using transit routes that travel on Alderney Drive, or service the bridge terminal, will be encouraged to transfer to the Alderney Ferry.
- Passengers using transit routes that service Woodside will be encouraged to transfer to the Woodside Ferry.
- Passengers using peak hour service and Metrolink service from Dartmouth to Halifax will be encouraged to transfer and use ferry service at Alderney, if possible.
- Express and Metrolink Service from Sackville (routes 185, 84, 85) will not service Windmill Road in Burnside and instead will travel to Halifax via Highway 102.
- It is important to note that routes 66 and 87 will be the only routes to service Burnside from Lower Sackville.
- The Alderney and Woodside ferries will be operating at full service, running every 15 minutes until 10 a.m. The Woodside service will revert to 30 minute service after 10 a.m.
- Ferry crew members will be added to increase overall capacity, in compliance with Transport Canada regulations.
- A shuttle service will be organized at the Halifax Ferry Terminal to assist in transporting off-loading ferry passengers.
- A green shuttle will transport passengers from the Halifax Ferry Terminal to Summer Street via Lower Water, Cogswell, Barrington streets and Spring Garden Road.
Commuters are advised to expect delays while these service level adjustments are in place. Your patience is appreciated.