I had meant to tell you guys about this all week! (ummm…did I just say that?? ;-P) While the girls were here for Thanksgiving, the beautiful and wise Amy left behind some canned pumpkin in the fridge. Now I have tried pumpkin oats before, but I have never had any luck ever liking pumpkin! I like pumpkin spice, just never pumpkin.
But let me just say that you should never give up on any food that is good for you that you don’t like. I must have tried oatmeal at least 15 times before I finally got it right and now I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
Your tastes DO change over time and I have been abundantly aware of that more so over the past year. I never even used to like pumpkin pie but this Thanksgiving, I DID.
So Miss Amy sent me an email with a recipe to try for pumpkin “dip” to use up the pumpkin that was left behind (isn’t that thoughtful?) and I was still of the mind that I didn’t “like” it. But then I decided that “since it was there” I would give pumpkin oats another shot:
BINGO. I loved it. It rocked and if I had more time in the mornings I would have eaten it for breakfast all week!
- 1/3c of oats (closer to 1/2c to use up the last of it)
- 1/2c unsweetened vanilla almond breeze, 1/2c water
- 1/2 banana chunked up
- cooked in the pot over medium
- added 1 tbsp sprouted chia, splash of vanilla, pinch of salt and TONS of pumpkin spice, 1/3c canned pumpkin right when it was almost to the right consistency and let
- Toppings: toasted sliced almonds, unsweetened coconut, chopped dates, cashew-almond butta
Yes I just wrote an entire post about how I have conquered pumpkin. *shakes head*!