The Halifax Regional Municipality will pilot the implementation of Leading Pedestrian Intervals (LPI) at six signalized intersections throughout the municipality on Thursday, October 11.
Pilot locations include the following intersections:
- Barrington Street and Spring Garden Road
- Spring Garden Road and South Park Street
- Oxford Street and Coburg Road
- Windsor Street and Almon Street
- Mumford Road and Halifax Shopping Centre
- Alderney Drive and Ochterloney Street
An LPI is a timing option used for pedestrian signals that turns the “walk” signal on before the adjacent vehicle signal, giving a “head start” to pedestrians.
This head start gives pedestrians an advantage over turning vehicles at intersections and can help improve driver yielding behaviour as pedestrians are better able to establish their presence within the crosswalk.
This pilot will help inform the potential for expanding the use of Leading Pedestrian Intervals at other locations in the future.
Source : Media Release