Tuesday, June 28, 2016 (Halifax, NS) – Municipal beaches and the outdoor pool at the Halifax Common will officially open to the public on Friday, July 1.
There are a variety of beaches, lakes, and outdoor pools across the Halifax region, many of which are supervised by trained lifeguards.
All municipal lifeguards hold National Lifeguard Service certification and are equipped with a variety of emergency supplies to help with water rescues.
Daily supervision throughout the summer months at most municipal beaches and the Halifax Common outdoor pool will be from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Residents are advised there is no weekend supervision at Malay Falls or Kinap Beach.
The following are some helpful tips for anyone spending time around the water this summer:
· Know your swimming limits. If you don’t know how to swim, or are a weak swimmer, sign up for our free lessons
· Always swim with a buddy in supervised areas
· Adults should never leave children unsupervised in the water. There should be one adult for every three children under the age of 6, or one adult for every six children who are six or 7-years-old
· Avoid relying on flotation devices such as rafts, water noodles, or water wings
· Understand the “terrible too’s”. Avoid swimming if you’re too tired, too cold, had too much sun, too much strenuous activity, or are too far from shore
· Avoid diving in unfamiliar or shallow water, which can lead to serious spinal cord injuries
Residents are reminded the municipality is once again offering free swimming lessons and Bronze Medallion, Bronze Cross, and junior lifeguard programs at all its municipal beaches and the Halifax Common outdoor pool.
There are spaces still available in some classes. Residents can register by calling 902-490-6666, by visiting any municipally operated community recreation centre, or online at the Community & Recreation Services ‘Rec Connect’ website. Visit www.halifax.ca/rec/ProgramsAndActivities.php and click on ‘Beach’ to sign up.
If classes in your community are full, don’t worry. Registration for the second round of free lessons opens on Wednesday, July 6.