Friday, Sept. 26, 2014 (Halifax, NS) – The Halifax Regional Municipality, in partnership with the Halifax Regional School Board, is inviting residents and families to stay active this fall and winter by providing free access to some of the region’s school gymnasiums.
Six school gyms located across the region will be open for two hours most Saturdays for school-aged children and youth, along with their parents, to come and play tag, kick a ball around, dance, shoot some hoops, or anything fun and active.
Open Gym days will take place every Saturday from Sept. 27 to Nov. 29, 2014, and again from Jan. 3 to May 2, 2015 (except for March 14 and April 4), at the following schools and times:
• A.J. Smeltzer Junior High School, 46 Prince Street, Dartmouth: 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
• Humber Park Elementary School, 5 Smallwood Avenue, Lake Loon: 2:30 – 4:30 p.m.
• Rockingstone Heights School, 1 Regan Drive, Halifax:
• John MacNeil Elementary School, 62 Leaman Drive, Dartmouth: 2:30 – 4:30 p.m.
• Fairview Junior High School, 155 Rosedale Avenue, Halifax: 2:30 – 4:30 p.m.
• Duncan MacMillan High School, 481 Church Point Road, Sheet Harbour: 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Municipal recreation staff will be on-site at each school to assist and participate, but unlike other municipal programs, these sessions will be unstructured with no lesson plans or organized activities. The objective of this program is to increase citizen access to recreation facilities at no charge, as well as provide more opportunities for unstructured play.
This program is supported by the Halifax Regional School Board, the NS Department of Health and Wellness, and the Halifax Regional Municipality.