Every Remembrance Day is important to me here in Toronto. This is were my grandfathers signed up to serve, my great grandfather, my uncle, my cousin, and my friend.
As I think of all of the men and women in my family who served, both my mom and my step-father served. My grandfathers, an uncle, and I have 2 cousins currently serving, I think of all they have seen, all they did, all they endured, with one goal in mind to keep Canada safe. to keep our families safe. I have sat and listened of many stories over the years and even attended the funeral of a friend who was lost in Afghanistan.They are hard to hear, and couldn’t even imagine living them.
I am grateful for their service and what it means every day for us who never served.
This Remembrance Day, they deserve some support, some respect, some remembering. Since this day happens to fall on a day when most of us are off why not attend one of the many services here in Toronto.
• The Queen’s Park ceremony begins at 10:45 a.m. It will include two minutes of silence, a youth pledge and the laying of wreaths, including the People’s Wreath (a flowerless wreath to which people can pin poppies).
• East York Civic Centre Memorial Gardens, 850 Coxwell Ave. Ceremony begins at 10:45 a.m.
• Etobicoke Civic Centre Cenotaph, 399 The West Mall. Ceremony begins at 10:15 a.m.
• North York Civic Centre, George Weston Recital Hall at the Toronto Centre for the Arts, 5040 Yonge St. Ceremony begins at 10:45 a.m.
• Old City Hall Cenotaph, 60 Queen St. W. Ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m.
• York Civic Centre, York Memorial Collegiate Auditorium, 2690 Eglinton Ave. W. Ceremony begins at 10:45 a.m.
• Fort York National Historic Site, Garrison Common, 100 Garrison Rd. Ceremony begins at 10:45 a.m.
• Kew Gardens Cenotaph. Ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m.
• Prospect Cemetery Sunrise Service, 1450 St. Clair Ave. W. Ceremony begins at 8 a.m.
• Scarborough Cenotaph, Kingston Rd. and Danforth Ave. Ceremony begins at 11 a.m.
• Swansea Town Hall, 95 Lavinia Ave. Ceremony begins at 10:45 a.m.
• Toronto Zoo, Meadowvale Rd. north of Sheppard Ave. E. Ceremony begins at 10:55 a.m.
I will be at one, how about you..