- 2 strips bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cans white beans (14 oz each), rinsed and drained
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 lb large sea scallops
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- juice of 1 lemon
1. Heat a medium saucepan on low, and cook the bacon until it begins to crisp. Pour off some of the bacon fat and add the onion and garlic. Saute them until the onion is soft and translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the white beans and spinach; cook until the beans are hot and the spinach is wilted. Keep warm.
2. Heat a large cast-iron skillet or saute pan on medium high. Blot the scallops dry with a paper towel and season them on both sides with salt and pepper. Add the butter to the pan. After it melts, add the scallops. Sear them 2 to 3 minutes on each side until they’re deeply caramelized.
3. Before serving, add the lemon juice to the beans, along with some salt and pepper. Divide the beans among four warm bowls or plates and top with scallops.
Along with the dish I cooked us up some fresh, local carrots. These guys are gorgeous and SO tasty!
On the plate –
Mmm mmm, love me some scallops!! These were the best part of the meal.
Unfortunately, I found the bean/spinach mixture to be a little bland. I couldn’t even taste the bacon. I would try the recipe again though and add another 2 slices just to see if it gave it a better flavour. None the less it still was a really filling, healthy meal.
My day was very “meh” and “blahhy” but I got several really nice emails from readers that managed to put a smile on my face and possibly teared me up at one point. 🙂 Thank you guys so much, you have no idea much it means to me that you take the time to write me and comment.
In a way, I feel like yesterdays post was me hitting rock bottom again, but it needed to be said. It helps. I’ve tracked today and made decent choices. I’m trying to decide between staying with SparkPeople (I do like their Blackberry App) or signing up for Weight Watchers Online again. In the past 1.5 years I’ve switched back and forth between SparkPeople, WW’s Online, My Fitness Pal and WW Meetings. Whatever the decision is, it’s one that I need to stick with and be consistent. I’ve had the most success with WW’s Online, I am living proof that it works. But I’m giving it some thought and will continue to track with SparkPeople for now.
Anyways, that’s all I’ve got for ya tonight! Off to catch up.