Colchester County District RCMP has charged a man in relation to shots fired at a home on McLeod Rd. in Manganese Mines.
On October 9, 2022, at approximately 1 a.m., Colchester County District RCMP, Pictou County District RCMP, Millbrook RCMP and Truro Police Service responded to a complaint of shots fired at a house on McLeod Rd. in Manganese Mines. RCMP officers learned that a number of gun shots were heard shortly before 1 a.m. and a loud vehicle was seen in the area minutes prior. There were no injuries sustained in the incident however the house incurred damage consistent with bullet holes. We do not believe this incident was random.
In the hours that followed, Colchester County District RCMP, assisted by an RCMP police service dog team and the RCMP Emergency Response Team contained a home, on Willie Hoare Rd. in Manganese Mines, where a 30-year-old man, involved in the shooting, was located and arrested safely.
That same day, the man’s vehicle was seized and a search warrant was executed at his house. During the search, RCMP officers located and seized two shotguns, a starter pistol, a switchblade and ammunition.
Zachary MacDonald, 30, has been charged with:
· Discharging a Firearm – Recklessness;
· Careless Use of a Firearm (two counts);
· Unsafe Storage of a Firearm;
· Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose;
· Unauthorized Possession of a Weapon;
· Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Weapon (two counts);
· Possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized;
· Possession of Prohibited Firearm with Ammunition
MacDonald was remanded in custody and will appear in Truro Provincial on October 11, 2022 at 9:30 a.m.
The investigation is ongoing and being assisted by the RCMP Forensic Identification Services.