Last year I did my skating blog post in January – this year I'm a month earlier, but still late, when you consider a lot of these skate times started in October. Whoops. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't occur to me to skate in October – I'm in pumpkin mode then. I'll try for next year though – remind me, OK?
A lot of these skate times will change over the holiday period, and also may change during the winter due to tournaments and other cancellations. Please make sure you call the arena before heading out. Most of these are also in the activity calendar now as well. I've mostly just included the times specifically good for young kids, but most of the arenas also have family skates or open skates that you can bring the little ones to – they just aren't as ideal for beginner skaters as these below.
If you know of any more, please add the details in the comments below!
- Bedford Arena, 36 Holland Road, Bedford, 490-4664: I'm still trying to confirm this information. The info on halifax.ca differs from what is on the arena's answering machine – I'll update when I have confirmation.
- Bowles Arena, 15 Ragus Road, Dartmouth, 490-6100: Their parent & tot skate is on Wednesdays from 10am to 11am. $2 per family.
- Cole Harbour Place, 51 Forest Hills Parkway, Dartmouth, 464-5100: No parent & tot skates, but their open/mid-morning skates generally aren't very busy so a good time to come with beginner skaters. 10-11am, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Also family skates on the weekends but these will be busier. $3.25 adult, $2.25 child.
- Dalplex/Dalhousie Memorial Arena, corner of LeMarchant and South Streets, Halifax, 494-3372: Parent & tot skate here on Wednesdays from 10:10am to 11am. $2 per person.
- Dartmouth Sportsplex, 110 Wyse Road, Dartmouth, 464-2600, ext 328: No parent & tot skates, but the best public skates for younger kids are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:15am to 11:45am. These times are the quietest, and if necessary they will rope off an area for younger kids. Also have frames the attendant can get out for you.
- Devonshire Arena, 3395 Devonshire Ave, Halifax, 490-4633: Has a free family/public skate on Wednesdays from 4-5pm, but no specific parent & tot skates.
- Eastern Shore Community Centre, 67 Park Road, Musqudoboit Harbour, 889-2538: Parent & tot skates here on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am to noon. $2 per person.
- Gray Arena, 15 Monique Ave., Dartmouth, 490-4551: This arena doesn't have any parent & tot skates, but their family skate on Sundays from 3pm to 3:50pm has a section for younger kids roped off. Free.
- Halifax Centennial Arena, 27 Vimy Avenue, Halifax, 445-4080: Parent & tot skate here on Mondays from 9am to 10:30am, $1 per person.
- Halifax Forum, 2901 Windsor Street, Halifax, 490-4614: The Forum's parent & tot skate is on Fridays from 9am to 11am.
- Sackville Sports Stadium, 409 Glendale Drive, Lower Sackville, 869-4141: No parent & tot skates but family skates where preschoolers can use hockey sticks are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:35am to 11:55am. $3 child under 7, $4 adult, $8 family (max 5 people).
- Spryfield Lions Rink, Drysdale Rd, Halifax, 477-5466: Their parent & tot skate is on Wednesdays from 10am to noon for $2 per person.
- St. Margaret’s Centre, 12 Westwood Boulevard, Upper Tantallon, 826-2100: Parent & tot skates here on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 11:50am. Lots of room to skate and feel free to bring a hockey stick too. $2.50 per person or $6 per family.