Halifax Regional Police has charged two men with firearms and theft offences in relation to two incidents that occurred in Halifax yesterday.
At approximately 3:30 a.m. officers responded to a report of two men who had entered a residence in the 5500 block of Cogswell Street. When approached by an occupant, the men showed what were believed to be firearms before fleeing the area in a vehicle.
At approximately 5:30 a.m. officers located the suspects in a vehicle on Maynard Street. Officers arrested the two men without incident and seized a loaded shotgun, ammunition and a replica handgun. Officers also seized stolen property including cash, bicycles, sporting equipment and tools.
Through the course of the investigation, officers determined the men had stolen the property at approximately 2 a.m. from a number of storage lockers and a vehicle located in the parking garage of an apartment building on South Bland Street.
Koty Christopher Nickerson, 36, and Christian Gordon Bennett, 37, are scheduled to appear in Halifax provincial court today to face charges of:
- Possession of loaded firearm
- Unauthorized possession of a restricted firearm in a vehicle
- Possession of a firearm without a license
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Possession of a weapon (x2)
- Storage of a firearm contrary to the regulations
- Careless use of a firearm
- Possession of a firearm contrary to a court order (x2)
- Break and enter
- Mischief (property damage) (x7)
- Theft under $5,000 (x6)
- Possession of property obtained by crime (x6)
- Possession of break-in tools
Bennett is also facing two counts of failing to comply with the conditions of a release order and one count of failing to comply with the conditions of a probation order.