Why should I pick up after my dog?
Animal waste contains bacteria and parasites, such as, E.coli, giardia and salmonella. Waste washes from our streets and parks into our waterways which pollutes our watershed. This poses a health risk to both humans and other animals. High bacteria levels in the water not only pollute our watersheds, but can lead to beachclosures throughout the summer
What can I do and how?
- Remember to bring plastic bags with you when you walk your dog to dispose of the waste properly in garbage cans.
- Animal waste is toxic, the bags are disposed of as garbage, no other circumstances. They are not organics or fertilizer and pet waste does not go into the green cart.
- Do not use bags marketed as biodegradable or compostable. These types of bags are never accepted at municipal compost facilities and must go into the garbage.
- Keep your pets on a leash near waterways and sensitive areas
- Spread the message to other dog owners
- On the go? Tie a pet-waste bag to your dog’s leash.
What is Halifax doing to protect lake health?
We are introducing Canines for Clean Water, an education campaign which focuses on maintaining safe water quality levels at Lake Banook and Lake MicMac. A pollution control study has identified areas of Lake Banook and Lake MicMac having high levels of canine E.coli. The Canines for Clean Water campaign was launched on August 1oth at the Loonie Carnival at Graham’s Cove. Join other owners pledging to keep our lakes clean and use dog bags!
Did you know?
Dog bag dispensers are available at Lake MicMac and we encourage pet owners to use these dispensers if they forget their own bags. Lake MicMac provides plastic bags and accessible garbage cans to ensure convenience. The plastic bags contain recycled plastic material to help reduce plastic waste and close the loop.
Canines for Clean Water
We want every dog to become a canine for clean water! Sign up for our clean water pledge* online to learn more about how we can keep our wildlife habitats safe, maintain our clean drinking water, and continue to enjoy our beautiful lakes. We will also be having Canines for Clean Water bandana giveaways for owners who commit to our pledge* for clean water. Stay tuned for dates and locations.