I concocted this comforting recipe on Monday. It was a howly, windy, rainy, grey, dismal December day and I was craving a taste of sunshine and golden warmth. Also, as contradictory as it might, I am now wanting a little snow, enough of this rain already……
Curried Sweet Potato, Chickpea, Apple, and Coconut Soup
1-2 Tablespoons oil or butter
1 large onion, chopped finely
1 small stalk of celery, chopped finely
4 cloves of garlic minced 9( or crushed)
2 heaping Tablespoons of curry paste OR 2 tablespoons of curry powder
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or 1 teaspoons ginger powder
1/2 cup of brown rice ( I used a brown /wild rice mix, you could also use basmati or white)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (19oz/540ml)
1 apple, chopped into small cubes ( I leave the skin on but you don’t have to)
1 Liter of vegetable broth or chicken broth ( 4.2 cups or 1.06 quarts)
1 can of coconut milk ( I use lite) (13.5/398ml) ( You could use cream instead if no coconut milk.Add at end)
1 tablespoon of sugar or honey
1. In large dutch oven or pot, heat oil and saute the onion, garlic and celery until golden brown.
2. Add the curry paste and garlic, saute for about a minute.
3. Add broth and coconut milk, stir
4. Add rice and chickpeas, stirr and bring to a simmer.
5. Add chopped apple and 1 Tablespoon of sugar or honey or sweetner of choice.
6. Simmer gently until rice is cooked and veggies are tender, about 25 minutes. Taste and season with salt.
7. Yum! This is a warming and really delicious soup. If you are a fan of cilantro you could top it with some of that or flat leaf parsley.