|Don’t say “Nope” to voting Knope?|
I wasn’t read for Leslie and Ben to break up. Things had only just begun. It’s not fair.
That said, I really loved the season premiere of Parks and Recreation. There’s no way I’ll be able to mention each of the many, many things that made me laugh. I’m so glad this show is back.
We picked up right where we left off, with Leslie getting the offer to run for office and having to make a decision between that and her relationship with Ben. Obviously, Leslie was going to choose running for office but she really didn’t want to end things with Ben. He got her an L-shaped eclair, for god’s sake! So Leslie went into hiding with one Ron Swanson, who’d made a dramatic escape to avoid Tammy One. Honestly, the entire scene where Ron took off in a panic was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.
There were so many touching moments mixed in with the comedy here. Ron giving Leslie advice was nice, but the sweetest moment came when Ben revealed that he’d long ago figured out Leslie’s dilemma, and he made the decision for her by giving her a “Knope 2012” campaign button. You guys, these two are meant for each other!
There’s so much else going on, too. Andy’s been promoted from shoe shiner to Leslie’s assistant. Tom wears crushed velvet leopard print slippers now that he’s the co-founder of an unsuccessful entertainment company. Ann was bombarded with lewd emails after she diagnosed one pervert with the mumps. Something weird is going on with Chris’s hair. We found out that Jerry is incredibly well-endowed. And Tammy One is auditing Ron Effing Swanson! That is going to be a disaster. Also, Patricia Clarkson has never been so terrifying. There is so much to be excited about! Here’s a handful of my favorite quotes and moments:
- “Oh, Ann, you beautiful, naïve, sophisticated newborn baby.” – Leslie
- Chris: “I want to apologize to all the women and Jerry. If I could go back in time and cut your eyeballs out, I would.”
April: “Wow, that is so sweet.”
Chris: “Thank you.”
- “Black print, black background. It’s the coolest possible color scheme…. It’s also a strong magnet, so don’t put it in your wallet. It will erase your credit cards, guaranteed.” – Tom, describing his business card
- “Oh my God, your inbox is literally filled with penises.” – Chris
- “I always carry emergency smore rations in my car.” – Leslie
- April as acting manager of the Parks Department
- Waiter: “Would you like any wine to start?”
Leslie: “Yes, and I’m gonna be direct and honest with you, I would like a glass of red wine and I’ll take the cheapest one you have because I can’t tell the difference.”