**** RCMP Media Release
RCMP reminding ATV enthusiasts to make safety a priority and ride safe
Richmond County District RCMP have a few safety tips for those attending the ATV run on February 1 in St. Peter’s.
With hundreds of riders and spectators expected to participate, it is paramount that everyone makes safety a priority while they enjoy the rally. “Richmond County RCMP will be in attendance for this event.
There will be increased patrols to ensure that motorists are operating their ATVs in a safe and responsible manner.”, says Cpl. Lance WOOD of St. Peter’s RCMP.
The RCMP would like to remind ATV riders of a few simple tips to help ensure everyone’s ride is an enjoyable one:
- Be aware of hazards and mindful of changing weather conditions. Stay on marked trails and
watch out for hikers and animals. Obey the rules of the trail and be respectful.
- Wear appropriate safety gear such as helmets, goggles, boots, eye protection, and gloves. Be prepared for adverse weather and wear layers of clothing.
- Do not use alcohol, cannabis, or other drugs while riding. You could be risking the safety of yourself and others.
- Have a plan. Tell someone when you are leaving and when you will be back. Avoid riding alone and carry a first aid kit, tow rope, overnight bag in case you need it. Know your route!
- Do not ride beyond your ability. Refrain from “stunting” and take breaks when you need them.
- Ensure you keep your ATV fuelled, and that you keep yourself fuelled as well.
- Do a pre-ride inspection every time you drive your ATV. Check the tires for wear and rims for damage. Look over your controls and made sure all cables and connections are intact.
- Be prepared for random checks by RCMP officers on ATVs or at check points. Make sure your ATV is registered and properly insured. If the trails you’re riding on require a trail pass, ensure you have one.
- When stopping for a break or to marvel at the beautiful Cape Breton scenery, or any time your ATV is left unattended, please ensure your valuables are stored out of sight, properly secured, or kept with you.
Richmond County District RCMP members wish everyone a safe and enjoyable weekend!