This has become of my my favourite flavour combinations ever since I tried this recipe here and I got it here. There is something absolutely wonderful about the flavour of sweet potato in south western flavours! Yes there is actually a half of a sweet potato underneath all of that goodness on top!
My favourite topping for this dish is an avocado mash, but I was all out of avocados! I improvised by grating up a 60 calorie Cracker Barrel Medium Cheddar cheese portion and a few heaping tablespoons of fat free cottage cheese. I am all about the cottage cheese lately!
The bean mixture:
- 1 medium onion chopped and sautéed in a deep non-stick pan with a little EVOO and 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 can of organic black beans added with all the liquid with
- 1 small can of corn niblets and let simmer on med-low
- 1c of organic medium salsa (to finish off the jar) plus about 1/3c of water shaken in the jar to clean it out and add more liquid to the pan
- ~ 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 large handful of fresh cilantro chopped and thrown in the pot
- 1/2 bag of Cut n Clean Greens Euro Greens (bag was on sale for $0.99) stirred around, covered to let wilt. (‘member when the people who own this company approached me in the grocery store when they were visiting from California? Random.) P.S. Baby spinach works wonderfully in this and you don’t get the “chew” you do from tougher collards if you’re not used to it.
- Let the whole thing simmer to wilt the greens and until it’s the right consistency for topping over the half of a sweet potato
I cut a sweet potato in half, poked it with a fork and cooked it in the microwave. (There is enough bean mixture to serve 4 people.) Place it in the bottom of the bowl and topped it with lots of spoonula’s full of the bean mixture; topped that with my grated cheese and side of cottage cheese!
I let the cheese melt on its own while I finished cleaning up the kitchen etc:
It rocked. It’s super easy. It makes perfect LEFTOVERS. It’s super HEALTHY. It’s vegetarian too 😉
I love it. Try it. You will too!